Tuesday, May 24, 2016

ANNA'S HUMMINGBIRD ON HER NEST!


This beautiful Anna's Hummingbird built her nest in a hanging sculpture on our next door neighbor's back covered patio.  You can see the red spots (faint in the shade) on her throat that identify her as an Anna's. 

I saw the hummer chasing off a Curve-billed Thrasher from the yard.  I guessed she had a nest nearby.  Then I saw her fly to the nest. 

My neighbors are gone for the summer so the hummingbirds will have their privacy.  But, I will keep watch for any Thrashers harassing her.

In fact, there is another nest in this sculpture from last year that is a little worn. Perhaps it is hers or her mother's.  I saw her fly and settle in the old nest, then she moved to her new nest when she realized she was in the wrong spot!

No comments:

Post a Comment